Back to Top

Fire on Campus: Message from the McGill Principal

Archived Content

You are currently viewing the legacy version of the MCSS Website. You can view the new website of the Macdonald Campus Students' Society at mcss.mcgill.ca. Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated since it was archived by the MCSS.

Continue to the new MCSS Website

[See also this news article on Global TV News]

Thank you to everyone who quickly responded to a serious fire that started early yesterday morning in the feed storage area at the Macdonald Campus Farm.

Our employees moved fast to keep the blaze from spreading and affecting livestock in the adjacent barn, and a group of about 20 students practicing nearby with the Macdonald Campus Woodsmen team came to offer help. Along with staff members, they led 135 head of cattle to safety and helped make sure they were provided with food and water.

Chandra Madramootoo, Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences and I also extend our appreciation to nearby residents, elected officials and approximately 60 firefighters who pitched in to limit our damage and make sure the animals were safe.

Message de la principale relativement à l’incendie au campus Macdonald

Nous souhaitons remercier tous ceux qui se sont empressés de répondre à un grave incendie qui s’est déclaré tôt hier matin dans la section d’entreposage de la nourriture, à la ferme du campus Macdonald.

Non employés se sont précipités afin d’empêcher les flammes de se propager en direction du bétail dans l’étable adjacente, et une vingtaine d’étudiants membres de l’équipe de bûcheronnage du campus Macdonald qui se trouvaient à proximité ont proposé leur aide. Ils ont donc prêté main-forte au personnel et guidé 135 bêtes vers un lieu sûr où ils avaient accès à de l’eau et de la nourriture.

Chandra Madramootoo, doyen de la Faculté des sciences de l’agriculture et de l’environnement, se joint à moi afin de remercier les résidents du voisinage, les représentants élus et la soixantaine de pompiers grâce à qui les dommages causés par l’incendie ont pu être circonscrits et les animaux sont demeurés en sécurité.